3 Ways Managed Print Services Can Help Schools Control Print Costs
Managing school spending has become a top priority for administrators, teachers, and staff alike. As budgets tighten, schools are seeking solutions to control printing expenses without compromising on productivity. As a result, Managed Print Services (MPS) has become a popular choice for schools seeking to take charge of their printing expenses.
Here are three challenges schools face when it comes to controlling their print costs and Managed Print solutions that can help them regain control over their print environments.
Challenge #1 – Volume of Printing
Schools generate a significant amount of paperwork, including worksheets, assignments, reports, newsletters, and more. The sheer volume of printing can lead to high costs, as paper, ink, toner and maintenance for printers and copiers can quickly add up. Schools may struggle to accurately predict their printing needs, leading to overestimation or underestimation of resources required.
- Print Assessment: An MPS provider can conduct an in-depth assessment of the school’s printing habits to determine actual print volume and patterns. This analysis helps schools understand their printing needs more accurately.
- Optimized Printing Solutions: Based on the results of the assessment, an MPS provider can recommend efficient printing solutions such as consolidating printing devices, implementing multifunction printers (MFPs), and using duplex (double-sided) printing to reduce paper usage.
- Print Quotas and Policies: An MPS provider can set up print quotas for students and staff, allowing a certain number of prints within a certain period of time. This encourages responsible printing behavior and reduces excessive usage.
Challenge #2 – Lack of Monitoring and Accountability
Many schools lack efficient print tracking and management systems. Without proper monitoring, it’s challenging to keep track of who is printing what and how much. This absence of accountability can result in excessive and unnecessary printing, including personal documents, drafts, or documents that could otherwise be distributed electronically. The lack of oversight makes it difficult to identify areas where cost-saving measures could be implemented.
- Print Tracking Software: An MPS provider offers print tracking software that monitors all print activities within the school. This software provides detailed reports on who is printing, what is being printed, and the associated costs.
- User Authentication: Requiring users to authenticate themselves at the printer before their print jobs are released helps prevent unauthorized access to printed materials and reduces wasteful or unnecessary printing.
- Alerts and Notifications: Alerts when certain print thresholds are exceeded can help administrators proactively manage print resources and costs.
Challenge #3 – Outdated Equipment and Infrastructure
Many schools have outdated printers and copiers that are less energy-efficient and more prone to maintenance issues. Older equipment can consume more ink and toner, produce lower-quality prints, and be more susceptible to breakdowns. This not only leads to increased operating costs but also disrupts teachers and administrators, causing inconvenience and delays.
- Printer Fleet Optimization: By assessing the school’s existing printer fleet an MPS provider can recommend upgrades or replacements for outdated equipment. Newer, energy-efficient printers can lead to cost savings over time.
- Remote Monitoring and Maintenance: An MPS provider can remotely monitor printer performance and maintenance needs. This proactive approach helps identify issues before they lead to breakdowns, reducing downtime and associated costs.
- Automatic Supplies Ordering: By automating the process of reordering ink, toner, and other supplies as they start to run low, schools can ensure their printers stay up and running smoothly, reducing any potential disruptions.
In addition to these challenges, an MPS provider can also offer training and support to school staff on efficient printing practices, sustainability initiatives, and the benefits of digital alternatives. By combining technological solutions with expert guidance, an MPS provider can help schools optimize their printing processes, reduce costs, minimize waste, and enhance overall efficiency in their administrative and educational activities.
About Atlantic, Tomorrow’s Office
Atlantic is an award-winning office technology and IT solutions company providing Imaging Products, IT Support, Document Management, Cybersecurity and Managed Services to small and large companies in the New York City metropolitan area, and the Greater Philadelphia and Delaware Valley.
For the latest industry trends and technology insights visit ATO’s main Blog page.